Carbs and the Caribbean.

Hi Guys, last time I posted I said the first topic will be Carbs and the Caribbean. However, before we move forward I'll give you all a little insight on why I am qualified to talk about nutrition and health. I have been passionate about this area ever since I was able to dream about what I wanted to do or become in life. I always kept myself active and always wanted to help others do the same. I went to the University, pursued and completed a degree in Human Nutrition and Dietetics, and now I am ready to share my knowledge with others. Now that you know me let's jump right in to the topic.



Image result for caribbean carbohydrates

Due to the history of the Caribbean which involves slavery, colonialism, indenture-ship, etc. We have become a melting pot of cultures, and as such our diets include many different carbohydrates from all across the globe. Most of our diets involve a healthy serving of carbohydrates and a tad of protein and "good fats" here and there. With lifestyle diseases on the rise and lots of non-communicable disease related deaths (Cardiovascular diseases, Cancer, Diabetes, etc) in the Caribbean and the world over are Carbohydrates the enemy?
Below are images of the various carbohydrates consumed in the Caribbean.
Image result for caribbean root vegetables  Image result for caribbean indian food
Image result for trinidad chinese food  Image result for rice and peas

Carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram and is the main fuel source utilized by the body and 15 grams is equal to 1 serving. Different recommendations from different associations suggest that 45-65% of our diets should be made up of carbohydrates considering factors such as physical activity, age, health status and other needs at the point in time. Carbohydrates are either simple or complex. Simple carbs are those which are easily digested and rapidly absorbed into the blood stream they include your refined flour, grains and sugar. Complex carbs are those which take some time to be digested within in the body and cause you to feel fuller longer and release energy intermittently. These include your whole grains, root crops, vegetables and some fruits.

Carbohydrates are the preferred fuel source of the body especially for the brain and blood cells, and  therefore it is important that we consume enough in our diets. So to answer the question, carbs are not the enemy but over-consumption is the enemy. So the trick is to have the correct portions, consume more of the complex carbs and strike the perfect balance according to your needs and not wants between the other Macro-nutrients (protein and fats). So don't run from carbs manage your carbs!

My next post will be in a couple days and I will address proteins..... Until next time have a great day my darlings.😗

Comments

  1. Hey Britney, love the blog, definitely will help me keep abreast of my nutrition knowledge, look forward to reading more

    Your bread lover
    Shanice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Balanced Diet

Proteins

Alcohol